This church has been identified as St Patrick's (Bradley 1980-1, 40-51), which was described as having its own churchyard and to be located N of St. Cianán’s church (ME027-037003-) in the cartulary of St. Michael’s priory (ME027-038011-) of Llanthony Secondo, dated 1381. The building (ext. dims c. 12m plus NE-SW, 6.4m NW-SE; int. dims 11m NE-SW plus; 4.7m NW-SE) survives, except the NE wall (H c. 0.7m) and the SW wall, which is completely absent. Its only feature is a pointed doorway (Wth 0.97m; H 2.15m) of undressed stone in the SE wall. Earlier walls are visible under the NW wall. Apart from a field boundary curving around the church NE-SE-S c. 10-20m distant there is no evidence of an enclosure or graveyard. Built into the inner face of the NW wall is an irregularly shaped limestone slab broken into four pieces (max. dims 1.65m x 0.85m). Centrally placed across the stone is a lightly incised inscription: ÓR DO SCANLA_N. (Anon. 1916, 205; Macalister 1949, 2, 33)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 14 August, 2014Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage