The manor of Duleek was established by Hugh de Lacy but after 1244 it passed to the de Verdun family. In 1332 it passed to Bartholomew de Burghersh, and in 1372 to the Flemings Slane (Othway-Ruthven 1967, 417, 425). Cooper describes and illustrates the motte in 1783, which was then being quarried (Price 1942, 99). A low mound (diam. c. 35m) existed on a location known locally as ‘the moat’. Excavation (E209) by K. Campbell in 1981 failed to find any evidence of the motte, but demonstrated that site had been quarried in the eighteenth century (SMR file).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 2 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.