from King (1984, 106-7) This cross was originally a wayside monument on the Downstown road after which it served as a gable cross on the church in Duleek. In 1969 it was set up on the left-had side of the road as one enters the village of Duleek from Drogheda. It was damaged in 1981 and re-erected in 1982 by the Duleek Historical Society about 0.5kmn nearer Drogheda on the same side of the road. The material is fossiliferous limestone. Dims of base 0.21m x 0.13m; H 1.45m; Wth 0.74m.
This is a Latin cross, rectangular in section, with splayed ends on the arms and upper shaft. It is decorated on the north and south faces and the edges of the shaft are chamfered. The base is modern. The W and E sides have no decoration. The N has the following inscription in false relief using Gothic lettering with Roman Capitals: HIS / PRAY FOR THE SOULES OF THO / MASSINA BERFORD FIRST EIFE / TO BERT / HELMEME / MOUR OF / DOWAN / STOWENE / WHO DIE / D THE 17 / OF DEC / EMBER 1635. The S side has an all-over pattern of shallow grooved lines. This cross is dated by its inscription to 1635.
Cogan (1862-70, 2, 232)
See the attached image.
Date of upload: 7 August, 2014Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.