Situated on the S bank of the meandering Nanny Water c. 100m SW of a loop in the river, and c. 2km from where it enters the Irish Sea. According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Lord Netterville of Ballygarth owned 348 acres at Ballygarth and Corballis in 1640, amounting to the whole parish, and the property included ‘one castle, a house and some cabins’ (Simington 1940, 5). Following the Restoration in 1660 it became the property of the Pepper family who retained it into the late twentieth century (Casey and Rowan 1993, 323). This is a rectangular three-storey tower house, modernised probably in the mid-nineteenth century, and still occupied. It has projecting rectangular towers with newel stairs at the E and W angles. A Georgian wing was built to the NE in 1782 and a narrow entrance block inserted to connect the two in the early nineteenth century.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 28 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.