Situated in a level landscape on the E side of the R132 Julianstown to Gormanstown and Balbriggan road, c. 1km SE of Julianstown bridge. Whitecross townland is marked on the Taylor and Skinner Maps of the Roads of Ireland (1783) and the cross is indicated as a feature (Andrews 1969, 2). An octagonal sandstone shaft (dims 0.29m x 0.29m; H 0.8m) has a mortice on top and half the sides have stops morphing into a rectangular form at the bottom. It is set in a rectangular limestone base (dims 0.82m x 0.72m; H c. 0.3m) with chamfered upper edges. There is no inscription. It is now in the front garden of a house.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 17 April, 2015Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.