Situated on a bluff c. 70m to the E of and overlooking the point where the W-E Delvin River turns S before entering the sea c. 1.5km to the E. This was a private or manorial chapel associated with Gormanstown Castle, which is c. 15m to the SW. The church is marked on the Down Survey (1656-8) county map of Meath, and the chapel of Gormanston is mentioned in Dopping’s Visitation books (1682-5) (Ellison 1971, 35), but the church has now been removed. For the Down Survey map see this web-page accessed on 15 August, 2014: http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/down-survey-maps.php#c=Meath The doorway was once surmounted by a panel with the date 1687 and a representation of a 'Jansenist' cross (Bence-Jones 1978, vol. 1, 142). Jansenism was a movement within Roman Catholicism in the 17th century, with an emphasis on Grace and predestination. For Jansenism see this web-page accessed on 15 August, 2014: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jansenism
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 18 August, 2014Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage