Situated on a fairly level landscape. A large embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 100m) is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described as a ‘Fort’ and it is depicted as a large hachured feature on the 1912 edition. This is a large circular area (diam. c. 107m E-W; c. 100m E-W) defined by a scarp (Wth 7m; H 0.4m). There is no fosse or identifiable original entrance. It may have been an enclosed wood on the demesne of Grennanstown House, the site of which is c. 200m to the SE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 27 February 2019Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.