A castle at Castletown (38) in Athboy parish and Lune barony is depicted as a tower on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Lord Gormanstown owned 200 acres there in 1640 including ‘a ruinated castle and some cottages’ (Simington 1940, 208). It is depicted as an oblong building (dims c. 20m E-W; c. 13m N-S) on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6-inch map, and as a single wall (L c. 20m E-W) on the 1908 ed. Only the foundations of the NE corner (L c. 3m E-W; c. 2m N-S) almost obscured by sod remains c. 6m N of a small WNW-ESE stream.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 9 June 2016
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage