Situated on a level landscape and just N of the remains of Ballynadrimna House. According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Lucas Dillon of Ballnedromne in Kildalkey parish owned 316 acres there in 1640, and the property included ‘a castle and a mill’ (Simington 1940, 204). A castle is not marked here on the Down Survey barony map of Lune (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/) or on any ed. of the OS 6-inch map. The E wall with rounded corners (L 6.9m; T 1.3m) survives to the first floor with a vault springing from the inner (W) face of the wall.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 28 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.