You are hereHome >Church > ME01331 - TLACHTA - Church
Located towards the bottom of the SE-facing slope of Wardstown Hill or Tlachta. This is a chapel-of-ease in Athboy parish and is within a rectangular graveyard (dims c. 53m E-W; c. 40m N-S) defined by earthen banks with trees. The church is listed as a chapel in Athboy parish called Kilcumny in Dopping’s visitation (1682-5) (Ellison 1972, 9). This is a corruption of Teampul Cuimhne – Remembrance chapel, by which it is still known locally. The church is not recorded in earlier listings. It is an undivided nave and chancel (int. dims 16.35m E-W; 4.9m N-S) defined by the W gable and the base of the other walls (Wth 0.8m; H 0.2-0.4m), with gaps for doorways in the N and S walls. The W gable with an ogee-headed window and a double belfry overhead is now obscured with ivy. The base of an octagonal font (dim. 0.45m; visible H 11cm) with a central drain-hole and chamfered edges is inside the church, and there is a headstone dated 1739 inside the church.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 2 January 2015
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage