Situated in a relatively low-lying position on the S bank of a small NW-SE section of a canalised stream, which is just to the NE. A small circular embanked enclosure (diam. c. 20-25m) is depicted only on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described as a ‘Fort’. Slight traces of an oval area (dims c. 40m x c. 30m) were visible in a ploughed field in 1969 when a piece of iron slag and burnt clay was apparent (SMR file), but an enclosure has never become apparent on any aerial imagery.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 17 April 2019Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage