Situated on a fairly level landscape with a S-N section of a small stream c. 90m to the E and a W-E section of the River Boyne c. 170m to the N. The parish church of Assey (ME031-011----) is c. 60m to the N. According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Mathias Barnwall, Lord of Trimblestown (ME036-003----), owned 177 acres at Assey in Deece barony in 1640, and the property included ‘a Castle, a Corne Mill, a Church and several Cottages’ (Simington 1940, 134), although the castle is not depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). It was described by Wilde (1850, 117) as a square keep with circular towers at opposing corners, but it is illustrated by Grosse (1791, vol. 2, 17) with square corner towers topped by gables with chimneys, suggesting a seventeenth century date. It has been removed since 1940s and no trace of it survives. Archaeological testing (10E0219) by P.D. Sweetman c. 90m to the E produced no related material (excavations.ie 2010:510).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Revised by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 7 July 2016
Amended: 16 March 2021Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.