Situated on the SE bank of a SW-NE section of the River Boyne with the stream c. 60m to the NW. According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Bartholomew Cusack owned 228 acres at Troubly in Deece barony in 1640, and the property included ‘a Castle and two Corne Mills’ (Simington 1940, 136). The castle is depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map as a small gabled house (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). It is described (Wilde 1850, 106) as the remains of a square tower with circular corner towers. It is represented on the OS 25-inch map as two circular towers c. 20m apart, but one might have been a corner tower from a bawn. The last remains were blown down in a storm in the 1970s and it has been removed without trace in a farmyard. The parish church of Trubley (ME037-001----) is c. 170m to the SW.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 6 July 2016
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.