A roofless structure is depicted at Ballrisken on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map of Deece (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Sir Edward Bolton owned 140 acres there in 1640 and on the premises was ‘a stone house’ (Simington 1940, 136). It is described as a ‘Castle’ on the 1836 and 1908 eds of the OS 6-inch map but with no precise location. This is a rectangular, grass-covered area (22m ENE-WSW, 14m NNW-SSE) defined by low banks (Wth c. 5m; int. H 0.3m; ext. H 0.6m) with a fosse (Wth c. 5m) running past the N edge of the area.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 9 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.