A castle at Staffordstown (38) in Follistown parish and Skreen barony is not depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Thomas Cusack owned 242 acres there in 1640 including a castle (Simington 1940, 66). It is described as the site of an old castle on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6-inch map with no precise location. There is no evidence of a structure at ground level in pasture.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 9 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.