The font from Timloole church (ME032-013----) was moved to the Roman Catholic church at Kentstown, c. 5km to the W, shortly after the Catholic church was built (Cogan 1862-70, 1, 346-7). The limestone octagonal font (ext. dim. 0.64m; H 0.46m) with chamfered under-panels and a circular flat-bottomed basin (int. diam. 0.48m; D 0.24m) is resting on an octagonal sandstone base (ext. dim. c. 0.5m; H 0.27m). The English inscription in roman letters running on all the sides below the rim reads: THIS / FANT / STONE WAS / BWYLDE / D BY ROBA / RE HOLI /WOD AN / DNI. 1597 / HE BEYN / GE RROCT /OR. (Roe 1968, 69-72)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 23 January 2015Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage