Hugh de Lacy granted the barony of Skreen to Adam de Feipo by c. 1172, and Adam probably made Skreen its caput or centre (Otway-Ruthven 1964). It is situated on a S-facing slope of the hill c. 300m S of the Columban church (ME032-047003-). This is a flat-topped earthen mound (diam. of top 15m; diam. of base 40m; H 6m) planted with deciduous trees. The castle (ME032-047002-) is c. 80m to the NNE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of revision: 2 June 2016Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage