A late medieval cross fragment which originally came from the hill of Lismullin (ME032-066----) (Cogan 1862-70, 1, 227), perhaps close to the site of Templekeeran church (ME032-022----) is now set up outside St Colmcille's Roman Catholic church. It has been described by King (1984, 109) as:
The four fragments of this cross were lying in the R.C. churchyard at Skreen for many years. Re-erected there in 1983. Material: fossiliferous limestone. Dims.: shaft: H 0.64m; Wth 0.3m; D c. 0.16m; inscribed fragment: H 0.32m; Wth 0.26m; D 0.12.
The segments which survive are rectangular in section and have chamfered edges. Three fragments have figure sculpture; the fourth has an inscription in Roman lettering in relief. 1st: A Crucifixion. Christ on a raised Latin cross with two smaller crosses on either side. Above the crucifixion is an INRI with a rayed sun on the left and a moon and star on the right. 2nd : A rayed sun enclosing an IHS and cross. Below this a small gowned figure carrying a large Latin cross. Only a few letters of the inscription on the fourth fragment can be deciphered: …A / …RAN../…F ED../..ARD VI…/..O../.
This is probably the shaft referred to by Dean Cogan on the hill of Lismullin which had an inscription as follows: ‘Reader pray for the soul of Thomas Cusack, Knight, Lord Baron and Chancellor of Ireland in the reign of Edward VI who brought the Irish [obliterated] May God in his mercy take him to himself.’ The letters at present legible would fit in with this transcription if the last two lines are read ‘of Edward VI who brought’ etc. The cross was in the yard at Lismullin for many years having been brought there by Sir John Dillon from outside Temple Kieran churchyard. Re-erected at Temple Kieran by Peter Hughes and finally brought to Skreen by Fr. Cooney in 1959 (information from Helen Hickey, Skreen Castle). It was probably carved c. 1588.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
See attached image 001 from N; 006 from S.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 10 July 2007
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage