You are hereHome >Church > ME01557 - ROADMAIN - Church
Located on a broad, low hill. This church does not appear in the church lists, and may be a late structure, but Cussingstown parish is identified on the Down Survey (1654-6) map of Skreen barony and it is recognised as a parish in the Civil Survey (1656-8). Roadmain is not identified as a townland in that survey, and it appears to be part of Cussingstown townland, which amounted to 223 acres and was owned by George Louther in 1640 (Simington 1940, 55-6). The parish may have been carved out of any of the neighbouring parishes of Rathfeigh, Kilmoon or Piercetown, and the church may have started as a chapel-of ease.
The ivy-covered remains of a single cell building (int. dims 7.5m E-W; 4.3m N-S) survive partially (max. H 2m) with a doorway opening (Wth 0.9m) towards the W end of the S wall and a possible doorway in the N wall. It is within a rectangular graveyard (dims c. 75m E-W; c. 55m N-S) defined by picket fences and trees with a masonry wall at W which borders the R152 Ratoath to Duleek road. The graveyard has expanded beyond the original subrectangular one (dims c. 50m N-S; c. 30m E-W), but part of the original perimeter can be seen S of the church in a slightly curved earthen bank incorporated into the modern border. The headstones in the older part of the graveyard date from c. 1780 to the present.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 9 February 2015
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.