Situated on a shelf in a low-lying position near the headwaters of the N-S Bartramstown river, with the stream c. 45m to the E. Marked as a small rectangular feature (dims c. 10m E-W; c. 5m N-S) on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6-inch map where it is described in gothic lettering as a chapel, but it is not listed as a chapel in Ardcath parish by Dopping (1682-5) (Ellison 1972, 35). Grass covered banks define the church (dims 13m E-W; 6m N-S) in the centre of a raised subcircular area (diam. 33m E-W; 29m N-S) defined by a scarp (H c. 0.5-1m) ENE-S-SSW that is incorporated into a field bank and hedge elsewhere. There is an entrance ramp (Wth 3m) at E, and there are indications of an outer enclosure in a concentric scarp N-E, c. 60m distant from the church. The enclosure is probably a rath. There is no indication of burial, and the period of the church is not known. The field system (ME033-023----) is just to the NE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 9 February 2015
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage