You are hereHome >Enclosure > ME01592 - BALLYNADRIMNA - Enclosure
Situated on a slight rise in a fairly level landscape. It is depicted as a subcircular embanked enclosure (ext. dims c. 50m NE-SW; c. 40m NW-SE) described as a ‘Fort’ on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map and as a curving field bank W-NE on the 1912 edition. This is a subcircular grass-covered area (dims c. 35.5m E-W; c. 31.5m N-S) sloping down to the SE (H 1.2m) defined by an earthen bank (Wth of base 4.5m; int. H 0.9m; ext. H 1.5m) with some trees N-NE reduced to a scarp W-N and cut by a NW-SE field bank at NE. There is no visible fosse or identifiable original entrance.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 5 July 2019
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.