Situated on a level landscape. Moyrath was bought by William Óg Nugent, a second son of William, First Baron of Delvin, in the late fourteenth century (Moore c. 1975, 12). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) 810 acres at Moyrath in Kildalkey parish was owned by Sir Thomas Nugent of Moyrath, and on the premises were ‘a castle, a house ruinat and some cottages’ (Simington 1940, 206). In the nineteenth century Moyrath Castle was a home of the Potterton family, although it was owned by a Henry Grattan (Lewis 1837, 2, 79). This is now a three-storey tower house with rounded corners that is still occupied. It was probably taller originally, and is modernised with large windows and false crenelations. A nineteenth-century house is attached on the NE side.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 6 July 2016Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage