Situated on a slight NW-SE ridge. It is depicted as an oval embanked enclosure (ext. dims c. 50m NW-SE; c. 30m NE-SW) only on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described as a ‘Fort’. This is a raised oval and grass-covered area (dims 37m NW-EE; 25m NE-SW) defined by a scarp (at NW: Wth 3.5m; ext. H 2.5m) SW-N-E and by a fosse (Wth of top 5; Wth of base 2m; D 0.75m) across the ridge at E-SE (L c. 15m). An old grass-covered quarry has destroyed the perimeter SE-W. There is an entrance causeway (Wth of top 1.5m; H 0.4-0.7m) across the fosse at SE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 5 July 2019
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.