Situated on a local summit in a gently undulating landscape, with a small canalised W-E stream c. 75m to the S. It was known locally as Steeplestown Moat and was damaged c. 1954. This is a raised grass-covered and oval area (dims 39m E-W; 29m N-S) defined by a scarp with some bushes NE-S-NW but there is a lower grass-covered scarp (at N: Wth 5m; H 1m) NW-NE where there is a grass-covered annexe (dims 43m E-W; 30m N-S) defined by scarp (at W: Wth 2.5m,; H 2m). A berm (Wth c. 20m) once separated the base of the scarp from an outer bank n SSE-W (ACAP: V273/ 55).
This monument is subject to a preservation order made under the National Monuments Acts 1930 to 2014 (PO no. 204/1955).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 5 July 2019
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.