ME01624 - KILCOOLY (Navan Upper By.) - Church

You are here Home  > Church >  ME01624 - KILCOOLY (Navan Upper By.) - Church
Item image
Situated on a prominent hillock in a gently undulating landscape. A church at Kilcoli is listed in the ecclesiastical taxation (1302-06) of Pope Nicholas IV (Cal. doc. Ire. 5, 256). Ussher (1622) says the church and chancel of Kilcowley were repaired (Erlington 1847-64, 1, lxxxv). According to Cogan (1862-70, 2, 347-8) the church of Kilcooly had been granted to St. Michael’s priory in Duleek (ME027-038011-) and later to St. Keenan’s in Duleek, and Kilcouley was amongst the possessions of St Michael’s in 1540 (White 1943, 316). According to the Royal visitation (1693) the parish church and its chancel at Kilcooly were ruined since 1641 and the graveyard was not enclosed (Ellison 1972, 9). The grass-covered foundations of an undivided nave and chancel structure (dims 15.4m E-W plus; W 5m N-S) defined by earthen banks or wall footings survives apart from the W end. It is within a D-shaped graveyard (dims c. 45m ENE-WSW; c. 35m NNW-SSE) defined by masonry walls built around the base of the knoll. The field system (ME036-014----) is c. 100m to the NW. The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research. Compiled by: Michael Moore Date of revision: 16 February 2015

Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.

Monument Details

Address:
KILCOOLY (Navan Upper By.), Meath
GPS:
53.569, -6.75237
SMRS:
ME036-015----
what3words:
basics.outdoors.flits

Nearby Images - Geograph.ie

Nearby Objects - Europeana


Close Reviews

Leave a Review