Situated on top of a prominent hillock, it is not depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map but it was within a wood at that time. It was described in 1969 (SMR file) as a low, subrectangular and flat-topped mound (dims of top c. 4.5m E-W; c. 4-5m N-S) defined by scarps (at E: Wth 1.6m; H 1.1m) which had been quarried into at N, E and W. A rescue excavation (99E0520) of the SW quadrant revealed that the mound was composed of an orange sandy clay (H 0.8m) with a collection of stones at one point. However, no artefacts or any evidence of burials or any other function was recovered, although other features were in the vicinity (Murphy 1999, P8; 2000, 232).
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 5 July, 2019Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.