Situated in a fairly level landscape. A souterrain was discovered c. 1930 while digging for gravel in a field known as the ‘Clump field’, a reference to the barrow (ME036-037----) c. 100m to the N. It was described after the event (NMI file) as a circular chamber ‘diam. 9 feet (c. 2.75m)’ with a passage ’16 feet (c. 4.9m) long by 3 feet (c. 0.9m) wide’ extending off to the NW. The passage was described as ‘roofless and 1 foot (c. 0.3m) high at the entrance to 5 feet high (c. 1.5m) at the chamber’.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 5 July 2019Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.