You are hereHome >Hillfort > ME01668 - RINGLESTOWN - Hillfort
Located on top of a prominent hill. This is a large circular and slightly domed area (diam. c. 110m NW-SE; c. 105m NE-SW; H c. 1m) defined by an earthen bank (at SSE: Wth of base 13m; Wth of top 3.8m; int. H 1.3m) separated by a fosse (at SSE: Wth of top 10.5m; Wth of base 2m; ext. D 1m) from an outer bank (at SSE: Wth of base 5.3m; Wth of top 2m; ext. H 0.9m) which has an external facing of stones in places. There is a ditch or drain (Wth c. 2m; D 0.3m) inside the inner bank SE-S, and entrances through the inner bank at NE (Wth of base 2.75m) and SE (Wth of base 1.5m). There is also a gap (Wth of base 5m) at SE and gaps at NW (Wth of base 3m) and NNW (Wth of base 3m). The interior is planted with coniferous trees and there are deciduous trees on the outer bank. It is described as a defended enclosure or hillfort (Newman 1997, 198).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 21 August 2019
This monument is subject to a preservation order made under the National Monuments Acts 1930 to 2014 (PO no. 31/1976).
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.