Located towards the bottom of the W-facing slope of the Tara ridge. Odder was part of the possessions of the nunnery of Odder (ME032-078----), and was surrendered in 1540 (White 1943, 260). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Doctor Benjamin Culme, a Protestant, had 259 acres at Odder in Tarragh parish in 1640, and on the premises was ‘a ruinated castle’ (Simington 1940, 71). It is described as Odder Castle in italic lettering on the 1835 and 1908 eds of the OS 6-inch map, and the house is still occupied. The house is aligned N-S and faces W but the N part of the W front has three storeys and three bays while the S part is of two storeys and two bays. The chimney stacks in the N and S gables each have three diamond-shaped flues. The small-pane sash windows (8 over 8) could be original. The rear, E face, has very few windows but a central gable has a projecting chimney flue supported on corbels from the first floor. The building is probably eighteenth century in date but incorporating fabric from an earlier house.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 10 July 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.