Situated in the valley of the River Boyne at a point c. 200m SE of where it turns from a NW-SE to a SSW-NNE direction. The motte (ME036-009----) is c. 160m to the NW and the parish church (ME036-010----) is c. 150m to the W. According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Gerrott Leynes owned 268 acres there in 1640 and on the property were ‘a castle, two mills and some Cottages’ (Simington 1940, 139). The castle is described and illustrated by Wilde (1850, 104) as a square tower with two projecting circular towers which contained stairs. There are a few grass covered stone mounds on the site now.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 13 July 2013
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.