You are hereHome >Enclosure > ME01679 - MOUNTLAND OR BUTTERHOUSE - Enclosure
Situated on a rise in a fairly level landscape. A circular embanked enclosure with trees on the bank is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described as a ‘Fort’, and it is depicted as a hachured feature on the 1912 edition. It was described locally as a flat-topped platform (H c. 1m) before it was removed in 1968 (SMR file). In 1969 it was visible as a circular area of dark soil (diam. 23m) defined by a band of yellow clay (Wth 4m at E to 8m at W) on the site of the bank and an outer ring of dark soil on the site of an outer fosse (Wth 5.5m at W to 10m at E). Some bones were noted in the NW quadrant (max. ext. diam. 46-50m). It has not become visible on any aerial imagery.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 21 August 2019
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.