Located on a rise at the NW foot of Tullaghmedan Hill. It is depicted as a partially quarried mound described as ‘Croghan Crin’ in gothic script on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map and as a gravel pit on the 1912 edition. It was described in the mid-nineteenth century (Searake 1850) as an earthen mound ‘about twenty yards in diameter at the base (c. 7m) and raised above the level of the adjoining land about twelve feet (c. 3.6m) and was known as ‘Croghan Erin’. What appears to have been a slab-lined burial covered with a single large slab was in the body of the mound ‘seven feet (c. 2m) above the level of the base’. The inhumation was recorded as being in an upright position and an iron spearhead was recovered from it. In a pit beneath the inhumation with an urn and bronze sword ‘eighteen inches long (c. 0.45m)’ were unearthed. The artefacts were donated to the museum of the Royal Irish Academy. A disused sandpit was at the location in 1969 (SMR file).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 21 August 2019
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage