Located at the SW edge of a broad low hill. Described in 1969 (SMR file) is a raised subcircular and grass-covered area (dims 53m N-S; c. 40m E-W) that slopes down to the SE (H c. 1.2m) defined by an earthen bank (Wth of base 6-7.5m; ext. H 2-2.5m) except NNE-SSE where it is defaced. There is an external fosse (Wth of top 13m; Wth of base 4m; int. D 1.7m; ext. D 0.7m) that can be distinguished from the bank SW-NW, but an original entrance is not identified. The perimeter is being eroded NW-E-SW since c. 2005 and it now has a rectangular appearance.
The name Colliersttown is derived from Calliagh, meaning an old woman or a nun, and St. Mary’s Abbey of Odder (ME032-078---) was in the vicinity. In a confirmation of its possessions in 1196 Dún Domhnaill, described as in the adjacent field, was amongst its possessions, and Bhreathnach (1999, 9) suggests that this may be a reference to this rath.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 21 April 2022; 23 March 2023
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage