Situated on a gentle NE-facing slope. References to a monastery at Kilmoon in the 9th century (Cuffe 1965, 194; Gwynn and Hadcock 1970, 394) probably do not refer to this location. A monastery founded by St. Moen, who may be Mughain of Lyons, Co. Kildare (Ó Riain 2011, 502), is unlikely to have been at this location as Cogan (1862-70, 1, 146) suggests, but this is the site of an early parish church. A church at Kilmone is listed in the ecclesiastical taxation (1302-06) of Pope Nicholas IV (Cal. doc. Ire. 5, 253). Ussher (1622) describes the church and chancel as completely ruined (Erlington 1847-68, 1, lxiii). According to Dopping's Visitation Book (1682-5) the church of St Munna was in disrepair since 1641 and the graveyard was not enclosed (Ellison 1971, 35). The present structure was built in 1816 (Lewis 1837, 2, 183), and only its W gable (L 7.4m) with the remains of a projecting porch and a rounded arch connecting with the church survives in a D-shaped graveyard (dims c. 47m E-W; c. 45m N-S) defined by masonry walls, with the perimeter curved at E. The headstones date mostly from c. 1830 to c. 2000, but one has the date 1767. Two pieces of window-surround (H 0.68m; 1.05m), the smaller with hollow chamfers, are in the graveyard.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 11 March, 2015
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.