Castle, or more probably a motte, founded by Hugh de Lacy in 1181. In 1403 Killeen passed to Sir Christopher Plunkett. Castle remodelled in 1780, altered c. 1804 and embellished in 1841. No original fabric can be detected. (Bence-Jones 1978, 170). The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987).
The castle was subject on an arson attack in 1981 leaving only a shell of a building. In 2005 it was repointed and re-roofed as part of restoration works. During these works two carved stone heads, a male and female in high relief were identified on the western facade.
Compiled by; Michael Moore
Updated by: Christine Baker
Date of upload/revision: 22 February 2015
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.