Situated on a fairly level landscape with a canalised ESE-WNW section of the River Hurley just to the N, and on what was the demesne of Kilbrew House. This is a large subcircular grass-covered enclosure (dims c. 220m N-S; c. 200m E-W) defined by a scarp (H 1-1.2m) with a wide fosse (Wth of top 12.5m; int. D 1m; ext. D 1.2m) NW-NNW. There is no visible entrance. The perimeter is skirted at E by a N-S track extending S to the site of Kilbrew church (ME038-023----) c. 140m to the S. This track is depicted on the OS 6-inch maps (1836, 1908) and is visible as a sunken hollow way (Wth of top 9m; D 0.5-1m). There was a possible house platform (dims 8m x 8m) outside the fosse at NW, but this area was subsequently obscured by introduced soils.
A geophysical survey (13R0118) confirmed the in-filing and raising of ground level outside the enclosure at N against the bank of the river but failed to identify any archaeological features. However, it highlighted the hollow way and identified two ring-ditches in the interior of the large enclosure, one with a central pit, and other anomalies. Archaeological testing (13E0466) by R. Meenan (2014) confirmed the build-up of redeposited soils outside the enclosure at N but no earlier archaeological features were noted. Nor was there any metaled surface for the old roadway. However, the presence of the two ring-ditches (ME038-054----; ME038-055----) was also confirmed. (Meenan 2014)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 14 April 2022
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage