Situated on a level landscape. A circular feature (diam. c. 60m) is depicted faintly and described as the ‘Site of Fort’ on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map. Its E quadrant is occupied by a rectangular copse described as Aspels Clump on that map but only the clump is depicted and named on the 1908 edition. No archaeological feature is visible at ground level. Aspels Clump is still extant in the carpark of Tayto Park.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 14 April 2022Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage