Located just off the summit of a hill on a SE-facing slope. A circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 45m) is depicted faintly on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described as a ‘Fort’, and a rectangular hachured feature (dims c. 65m NW-SE; c. 40m NE-SW) is depicted on the 1912 edition of the map. It was described in 1969 (SMR file) as a rectangular grass-covered area (dims 63m NNW-SSE; 39m ENE-WSW) defined by a low, widely spread earthen bank with rounded corners and some old quarries in the perimeter. There was no recognisable fosse but there was an entrance (Wth of base 3m) at E.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 9 August 2019
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage