A castle at Castletown (24) in Rathmoline parish and Moyfenrah barony is depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony and parish maps as an elaborate structure consisting of two three storey towers connected by a wing (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Dr. Bramhall, who is described as ‘Bishop of Derry, Protestant Delinquent’ owned 500 acres there in 1640 including a castle (Simington 1940, 177). In fact the bishop owned all the land in the parish, apart from about 800 acres (ibid. 176-80). The monument, which looks from its representation like a seventeenth century house, is not indicated on any ed. of the OS 6-inch map, but it is marked as a ruin on MS map 21 F 15 (35) in NLI. Two walls built against rock outcrop survive, but these are likely to relate to quarrying and a lime-kiln that was in the vicinity.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 9 June 2016Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage