Situated on a low rise in a low-lying landscape with a small SE-NW stream curving around it c. 35-40m distant S-W. It is depicted faintly as a large circular enclosure described as a ‘Fort’ on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map and as a large hachured feature on the 1912 edition. This is a slightly domed and grass-covered subcircular area (dims c. 80m N-S; c. 70m E-W) defined by the lip of a small bank that is largely reduced to a scarp (H c. 1-1.5m) with some bushes. A slight outer fosse only survives ENE-S and there are traces of an outer bank. An original entrance is not identified, but a NE-SW field bank crosses the interior SE of the centre.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 9 August 2019
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.