Situated at the N edge of an E-W ridge. It is depicted as a large circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 55m) on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described as a ‘Fort’ and as a large hachured feature on the 1912 edition. This was described in 1969 (SMR file) as a circular grass-covered area (dims 69m WNW-ESE; 69m NNE-SSW) that slopes down to the S defined by an earthen bank (Wth of base c. 5m; ext. H c. 2m) separated by a rounded fosse (Wth of base c. 2m; ext. D 0.5m) from a slight outer bank NW-NE but the perimeter is incorporated into a field bank SW-NW and reduced to a scarp elsewhere. The perimeter was planted with some bushes in 1969 (SMR) but an original entrance was not identified. The visible profile appears to have been removed by 2005 (OSAP).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 12 August 2019
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.