Located on a rise in a gently undulating landscape. A church at Galtrym is listed in the ecclesiastical taxation (1302-06) of Pope Nicholas IV (Cal. doc. Ire., 5, 255). The rectory of Galtrim was amongst the possessions of the Augustinian priory of St Peter at Newtown (ME036-049003-) at its suppression in 1540 (White 1943, 294). Ussher (1622) describes the church as ruined and the chancel as repaired (Erlington 1847-64, 1, lxxiv). According to Dopping (1682-5) only the walls of the chancel and the church of the Blessed Virgin Mary were standing, and the graveyard was not enclosed (Ellison 1972, 5). The names of some of the clergy are known (Cogan 1862-70, 2, 370-1). The present Church of Ireland church was erected in 1800 (Lewis 1837, 1, 638-9), although 1830 is inscribed in roman numerals over the doorway, but it is now closed. It is within a rectangular graveyard (dims c. 55m NE-SW; c. 45m NW-SE) defined by masonry walls. The headstones date from 1735 to c. 1990.
The present building (ext. dims 17.2m E-W; 8.3m N-S) could incorporate walls of the older church, since the N and W walls have a base-batter. The E of two windows on the S wall (Wth 1.5m) has a square hood-moulding externally, and N and S windows on the present tower (ext. dims 3.4m N-S; 3.4m E-W) are re-used ogee-headed and multi-cusped lights. Projecting E from the present church are the remains of a chancel (int. dims 9.9m E-W; 5.3m N-S) defined by wall footings, scarps or low mounds. The motte (ME043-002----) is c. 115m to the SSE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 23 March, 2015
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.