Situated on a prominent rise in an undulating landscape. The earliest reference is from Ussher (1622), who describes the church and chancel at Arratstowne as ruinous (Erlington 1847-64, 1, lxxx). Dopping (1682-5) lists Arodstown as a chapel-of-ease to Kilmore (ME043-042----) (Ellison 1972, 4). Cogan (1862-70, 2, 371) records the church as measuring ’41 feet by 15 (c. 12.5m x c. 4.6m)’, and Moore (1975, 45) says it was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Only two lengths of the overgrown S wall (total L 12.55m; max. H 1.5-2m; T 0.8m) survive with a gap (Wth 1.8m) towards the W end that might be the location of a doorway. It is within a subrectangular graveyard (dims c. 37m E-W; c. 30m N-S) retained by masonry walls, and its few headstones dating from 1740 to 1953 have been recorded (ibid. 45-9). The head of a latin cross (H 0.58m; span 0.66m; T 0.14m) with slightly flaring terminals had been buried just outside the S doorway, but it was moved from the graveyard c. 1960 and is now outside the Roman Catholic church of St Mary’s at Moynalvy (ME043-028----), c. 1.6km to the S (ibid. 46-7). It has a Madonna in relief on one face with ‘IHS’ and MAR’ carved in false relief on panels at the ends of the arms and a Crucifixion on the other face, with ‘INRI’ in false relief above and the letters ‘P’ and ‘M’ incised at either end of the arms. It probably dates to the late 16th century (King 1984 104-05)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 23 March, 2015
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.