Situated on a slight SW-facing slope with Arodstown church (ME043-015----) c. 150m to the W. According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Peter Barnwall of Arrottstown in Kilmore parish owned 305 acres there in 1640, and on the premises were ‘a castle and some cottages’ (Simington 1940, 149). This was a rectangular structure (ext. dims 10.6m plus NW-SE; 8.7m NE-SW) with a projecting square tower (ext. dims c. 3.5m NE-SW; 2.75m NW-SE) at the S angle. There was a modern doorway in the SE wall and two double-splay lights on the NE wall at the ground floor. The ceiling was supported on corbels in the long walls. A lintelled doorway (Wth 0.7m) leads from the main chamber to the S tower (int. dims 2.6m NW-SE; 2m NE-SW) that had a low barrel-vault with a single double-splay light in the SE wall. The first floor under the NW-SE barrel-vault may have been a loft as it has no features except a round-headed doorway leading to the S tower, which also has a barrel-vault. The S tower has a double-splay light in the SE wall and a large opening in the NE wall that could have provided the main entrance to the structure. There was no trace of any upper floors and it appears to have been removed since 1969 (Bing c. 2013).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 13 July 2016
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.