This plaque and other dressed stones were rescued by Beryl Moore from a rockery in Summerhill Demesne where it was since at least 1917 (FitzGerald, 1917, 129). The stones were kept beside the cross (ME043-020001-) in Summerhill village but are now removed; we can only hope that they have been moved to a place of greater safety such as the OPW depot at Newtown Trim. The stone was described by Butler (1861, 209) in the 1830s as: “In the wall of a house near Rathmolyon are the following arms…. For de Bathe a cross between four lions… for Thunder a Chevron between three trumpets. On the broken shaft of a highly ornamented cross in the same place are the words…. Orate pro anima Petri Lince SD 1554.’ According to Moore (1971-81) Peter Lince (later Lynch) married Elizabeth Thunder (of Lagore?) as his second wife and directed in his will which still exists that she should erect two crosses (one at Summerhill and one at Rathmolyon) requesting prayers for this soul.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 27 August 2019
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage