Situated on a gently undulating landscape. According to the Civil Survey (1654) Anne Hussy, described as an Irish Papist, owned 338 acres at Moynalvy in 1640, and on the land were a stone house, an old castle and 10 cabins. She also owned 60 acres in Crickstown, and other members of the Hussy family owned land in the barony of Deece (Simington 1940, 148-9). Earthwork banks and ditches covering about 64 acres (c. 25.5 ha) in nine fields are visible on a vertical aerial photograph (GSIAP: N 299) from the 1970s. The banks (Wth c. 3m; H 0.2-0.8m), ditches (Wth c. 2-2.5m; D 0.2-0.3m) and scarps create small rectangular or irregular fields (dims c. 60m x c. 50m). Included in the complex were two rectilinear enclosures (ME043-024----; ME043-025----) that could be moated sites and two large oval enclosures (ME043-026----; ME043-027----), which might be just larger fields. Only one house platform (dims 13.2m E-W; 7.6m N-S) with an entrance at S was recognised. This is at the S edge of the fields at the edge of the Summerhill to Dunboyne road. About half of the fields, including that with the house site are regularly ploughed since 1995 at least (OSAP).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 21 August 2019
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.