You are hereHome >Earthwork > ME01826 - SUMMERHILL DEMESNE - Earthwork
Located at the crest of a hillock. A circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 45m) is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map and a hachured feature is depicted on the 1912 edition. It is described as ‘Donaghanore’ on both maps. This is a raised and grass-covered circular platform (diam. of base 20.3m E-W; 20m N-S; diam. of top 15.5m) defined by a scarp (at S: Wth 1.6m; H 0.6m; at N: H 1.4m), with some trees remaining from when it was a woodland at the W edge of the demesne of Summerhill House as depicted on the earlier OS map. The interior has a large grass-covered quarry (diam. 9.2m; D 1.2m) which distorts its appearance. The graveyard wall of church site (ME0430-031----) is c. 15m to the N.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 26 August 2019
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.