You are hereHome >Mound > ME01841 - KNOCKMARK - Mound
Situated on a gentle N-facing slope. It is depicted as an oval feature and described as ‘Knockmark Moat’ on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map. This is a circular grass-covered earthen mound (diam. of base 14.4m E-W; 13.5m N-S; H 1.6m at S to 2.2m at NW) with some deciduous trees. It is within and towards the SE edge of an oval enclosure (dims 64m NW-SE; 32m NE-SW) defined by a slight scarp but with a large oval or crescent-shaped mound (L 24m NE-SW; Wth 16m NW-SE; H 2-2.4m) on the perimeter SE-S. The large enclosure is probably a tree-ring and the mound on the perimeter may be natural.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 22 November 2021
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.