Situated on a gentle rise in a fairly level landscape. This is a raised and flat-topped, grass and scrub-covered mound (diam. of top 26m; diam. of base 35m) defined by a scarp (at WNW: Wth 5m; H 2.4m; at ESE: Wth 4m; H 4.5m). There is no visible fosse, although the mound rises over a field drain (Wth of base 2.8m; ext. D 1.6m) with an outer field bank (Wth of base 2.7m; ext. H 0.4m) E-SW. An original entrance is not identified, and the field in which it is situated is now a cemetery. The early monastery of St Seachnall or Secundus which became the medieval parish church (ME044-033002-) is c. 650m to the N. This rath may have been used by the Mac GiollaSeachnaill descendants of the Clann Chernaig Sotail after Lagore crannog (ME038—027----) was abandoned in the tenth century. The death of Maolcron Mac GiollaSeachnaill, lord of South Brega, is recorded in 1171 (AFM).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 22 November 2021
This monument is subject to a preservation order made under the National Monuments Acts 1930 to 2014 (PO no. 195/1954).
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.