ME01844 - RATOATH - Cross - Market cross

You are here Home  > Cross - Market cross >  ME01844 - RATOATH - Cross - Market cross
Item image
Situated at the W end of the E-W ridge of Ratoath, and at the junction of the Dunshaughlin Road and the Fairyhouse Road, which was the main Dublin road. This is c. 150m W of the motte and would have been at the centre of the medieval settlement. This was known as the Market Cross and is noted in gothic lettering on both the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map, but only the base, described as measuring 2 feet by 2 feet (c. 0.6m x c. 0.6m) and with a circular perforation of 7 or 8 inches (c. 0.2m), survived in the 1830s when funerals circled around it (Herity 2001, 112). This was damaged in 1922 by Black and Tans, and it was replaced in 1932 with a cross commemorating the Eucharistic Congress of that year. The Eucharistic cross was removed c. 1972. It is possible that the reconstructed cross (ME044-034006-) in the graveyard is the market cross. (Bradley and King 1985, 126) The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research. Compiled by: Michael Moore Date of upload: 10 July 2007 Amended: 17 December 2021

Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage

Monument Details

53.5072, -6.46424

Nearby Images -

Nearby Objects - Europeana

Close Reviews

Leave a Review